Frequently Asked Questions

Legacy Brick Program

Cotton... From Seed to Open Boll

Burton Farmers Gin

The Lady "B"

Wehring Shoe & Leather Shop

Cotton Warehouse

History Slide Show

Historical Archives
  The Wehring Shoe Shop & Residence

William Wehring opened the shoe and leather shop in 1923 in a small building in the back yard of his residence, which is located next to the Burton Farmers Gin. Later he built a 12 x 14 ft. building in front of the residence to provide a more convenient and adequate facility for his leather repair business, which he operated until his death in 1931.

Otto G. Wehring, William's oldest son, continued the operation of the leather repair business. In 1933, Otto and wife, Annie, built a 22 x 20 ft. two story building attached to the residence. First floor was the business and the second floor was living quarters for their three children. Otto and Annie Wehring continued the leather repair business until his death in 1976 at age 85.

The residence and leather repair business remained as is and inactive past the death of Otto and Annie Wehring. Gus A. Wehring, youngest son of Otto and Annie, acquired the property and all the contents of the leather repair shop in the spring of 1990. In July 1990, Gus A. Wehring gifted the property, including the residence, leather repair shop, and contents to Operations Restoration, Inc., now known as the Texas Cotton Gin Museum.

The Wehring House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Visitors can tour the Otto & Annie Wehring Shoe Shop where immediately upon entering they can sense a feeling of stepping decades back in time. They have the opportunity to view the cobbler's tools, and with the tour guide's help, "see" the cobbler working diligently six days a week for forty-five years at a craft that is fast disappearing. The story of Burton as a small cotton town would not be complete without the Wehring House and the Otto & Annie Wehring Shoe Shop.